|—||Unknown (via lucky-bella)|
And I feel like doing something about it… But I just don’t know what.
I know what… I just dont think I can…
To tout the usefulness of Arboblend, a hot new bioplastic that looks all but poised to take the bright, sunshiny world of renewable construction materials by storm, students and professors from Stuttgart University’s Institute of Building Structures and Structural Design used it to build this spiky modular pavilion and filmed the entire process.
The resulting piece of manufacturing porn starts with a lowly tub of bioplastic granulate, made from over 90 percent renewable materials, and takes it through the rounds of melting, pressing, and thermoforming that produced this polygonal serpent of a structure.
As the project team explain—and this is to be read in a triumphant cadence, with an eye toward a future where regular old plastic has been rightfully shunned in favor of the eco-friendly blend—”thermoformable sheets of bioplastics will represent a resource-efficient alternative in the future, as they combine the high malleability and recyclability of plastics with the environmental benefits of materials consisting primarily of renewable resources.”
1. Nelson Mandela in 1952 at the law office he opened with his colleague, Oliver Tambo. This was the first black legal practice in South Africa. Both were founding members of the ANC Youth League. (Jurgen Schadenberg, AP)
2. Mandela and Winnie Madikizela-Mandela on their wedding day in 1958. They had two daughters, Zenani and Zindzi, and divorced in 1996. (AFP)
3. Mandela leaves court at the end of a day’s proceedings in 1958 during the first treason trial. He and all the other defendants were acquitted in 1961. He was re-arrested in 1963 and was tried in what was known as the Rivonia Trial. He was sentenced to life imprisonment on June 12 1964. (Jurgen Schadenberg, AP)
4. Nelson Mandela is led by his then wife, Winnie Madikizela-Mandela, who gives a black power salute, after his release from Victor Verster prison in Cape Town on February 11 1990 – udoubtedly one of the most memorable moments in South Africa’s transition to democracy. He served over 27 years in jail, mostly on Robben Island. (Greg English, AP)
5. Former president Frederik Willem de Klerk and Mandela address the media prior to talks between the ANC and the South African government in Cape Town, May 2 1990. (Denis Farrel, AP)
6. Mandela and FW de Klerk were jointly awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in Oslo on December 10 1993, “for their work for the peaceful termination of the apartheid regime, and for laying the foundations for a new democratic South Africa”. (Reuters)
7. Mandela takes the oath of office in Pretoria on May 10 1994 to become South Africa’s first democratically elected president. The event was attended by many heads of state and thousands of supporters. (David Brauchli, AP)
8. Mandela wears a Springbok jersey as he shakes hands with Springbok captain Francois Pienaar after South Africa defeated New Zealand in the rugby World Cup final in Johannesburg on June 24 1995. The hosting of the World Cup and the country’s win was a positive, uniting event. (Mark Baker, Reuters)
9. Mandela walks through the vast Trafalgar Square crowd in London on July 12 1996. During his four-day stay in the UK, he was presented with the freedom of the city of London and received honorary degrees from eight leading universities. (Dave Caulkin, AP)
10. Mandela and Princess Diana speak with the press after meeting in Cape Town on March 17 1997. (AFP)
Nelson Mandela, RIP December 5th, 2013
Marcus is telling the story about how Ben once forgot him at the train station. He was by himself for a whole 30 minutes; a strange lady kept trying to talk to him
WE NEED FEMINISM BECAUSE WHEN LANCE ARMSTRONG GOT CANCER AND LOST A TESTICLE IT WAS ALL ABOUT HIS HEALTH AND HOW INSPIRATIONAL HE WAS BUT WHEN ANGELINA JOLIE GETS A DOUBLE MASTECTOMY TO PREVENT HERSELF FROM GETTING CANCER, IT’S ALL ABOUT HOW SHE WON’T BE A SEX SYMBOL ANYMORE AND HOW MEN ARE OFFENDED CAUSE SHE WON’T BE AN OBJECT FOR THEM
my blog will make you smile or cry♡